Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Complex Summer

I have had the most advantageous summer. And - conveniently - it was fun.

I have spent the last three months at a research center with the Smithsonian. Already sounds great, right? I have thought for the longest time that I wanted to be a scientist, but now I know that I want to endorse science, not do the nitty-gritty lab work.

I got to work on some of the most beautiful coastline in the state, spending time in the sun and water and laughing to my hearts content.

I spent time working with meaningful projects, and had the opportunity to do my own research that will also double as my senior research for college, allowing me to graduate early.

I made some great friends, and enjoyed a great companionship with my colleagues and supervisors.

I had the chance to respond like an adult to difficult situations, and was given a lot of responsibilities and independent power.

I enjoyed a "trial run" of independent living, cooking all of my own meals and managing a small budget.

Best of all, I finally honed in on what I want to work on when I graduate, and the areas of my life that need to be changed. I know how I want to become a better person, a better worker, and a better student. I want to thank everyone I worked with and lived with on the campus of the research center.

Right now I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to go back to being a student - responsibilities downplayed, meals mostly in a cafeteria, only working for maybe two hours a day, instead of a 9-5. I just hope I never choose a job in which I ever utter the words "I don't really like my job"


Happy Summer!
On my very last day of field work, we caught four Cownose stingrays. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment