Saturday, February 12, 2011

What Makes an "Expert"?

Miracles were performed last night.

I managed to plan, shop for, prepare, cook, and serve a three-course meal without crying to my father for help.

Now I am not an amazing cook, but my father is. I'm convinced he can cook anything without breaking a sweat. If I had to name the best chef in my life, it would definitely be my father (with no offense to my mother). He is definitely the expert in my life.

my dad has always said that being an expert just means you're one page ahead in the manual than everyone else. I got to have a taste of this last night.

Two friends and I always cook together every Friday. Usually it's just a frozen pizza and popcorn. This week , for Valentine's Day we decided to do something a little more adventurous. We collected used pots and pans from the campus "free store", picked out a menu together, and made a budget for the expensive foodstuffs we would need.

While shopping and preparing, the two friends I always cook with continued to ask me "what do we need to do next?" or "what do you need me to do?" The recipe was right on the counter next to me, and I hardly had any idea what I was doing in the first place, but they asked me instead. And for some reason, I kept answering with the correct answer!

We made a delicious meal of cheese fondue, salsa chicken, and smores (in an oven) for dessert. It was all delicious, and somehow the best food I had ever made. Food just tastes better when you have worked incredibly hard to make it yourself.

It may just be a small miracle, but it meant a lot to me, and even made me feel more independent. I was the expert, and people were asking me the questions. Strange.

If you ever need to feel really strong, go out and cook something you've never made on your own before.

No comments:

Post a Comment