Monday, July 20, 2009

What A Surprise...

To my great shock (not to mention my mother's), I've been finding myself saying "You were right, I should have listened to you," an awful lot lately to my mother. I just graduated from High school (place of evil, I tell you) and am on the gradual road to becoming an "adult." Choose whatever definition you like, it's just weird. So I thought I might as well share my experiences in what has become "the normal way."

As I said, I am a high school graduate, headed for "College X," shall we call it. College X is the place of my dreams; my own personal land of milk and honey and really expensive learning opportunities. It recently occurred to me that I've been making a lot of mistakes over the last couple of years if someone other than my mother had told me how to avoid them. Yes, I said it. Everyone ignores mom until it's too late, and then they have to sit through a good "I told you so."

Parents are not the Axis of Evil, and mom does mean best when she asks you to clean your room. Trip hazards can form out of the most innocuous of your belongings. Cleaning your room also helps a lot with that funky smell creeping out from under your bed. But besides the obvious things, the everyday comments that mom throws out reflexively can be quite helpful if you listen to them in time. I missed one, nad it cost me four years of complexion, but that's another story.

I offer my meager services to the blog-o-sphere in the hopes that I can save another pre-teen, teen, or young adult from a few of the horrors of adulthood. Growing up is the strangest process. One minute you feel twelve, and another moment, someone is handing you a driver's license. Funky. Good luck, brave explorers!

No comments:

Post a Comment